09th May 2018 Current Affairs – GK Today
1. The largest retailer in the US, Walmart has acquired India’s biggest e-retailer Flipkart for a behemoth $16 billion. Walmart has acquired 77% stake in Bengaluru-based online shopping portal at a valuation of around $21 billion.
2. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been ranked among the top 10 (9th) most powerful people in the world by Forbes in a list that has been topped for the first time ever by Chinese president Xi Jinping.
3. Facebook has announced that the company’s Vice President of Product Chris Daniels will be taking over Whatsapp after Co-founder Jan Koum announced his departure last week.
4. Journalist Carlos Alvarado was sworn as Costa Rica’s president.
5.UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres announced, climate summit set to take place in September 2019 in New York to review the Paris Agreement commitments.
6. Nepal has granted an Indian government-owned subsidiary the power generation license from a 900-megawatt hydropower project, Investment Board Nepal (IBN) recently granted the license to Satluj Jala Vidyut Nigam Power Development Company, a subsidiary of Indian government-owned Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam Ltd.
7. The 2018 World Robot Conference will be held in Beijing from August 15 to 19.
8. Nisha Bhalla, a 46-year-old holistic coach, and consultant from Mumbai were felicitated at the recently concluded Annual WEF 2018 Awards. Nisha was presented the ‘Excellent Woman of Excellence’ award for her spiritual service at the event.
9. China has successfully launched a hyperspectral imaging satellite ‘Gaofen-5’ for comprehensive observation of the atmosphere, including air pollution.
10.US President Donald Trump announced the withdrawal of US from the Iran nuclear deal.